• hello@cleartaxfiler.com
  • +1 626-382-3299

S-Corp Tax

An S-corporation offers significant tax savings compared to a C corporation. C corporations profits are taxed twice, once at the corporate level and again when profits are distributed to shareholders, whereas S-corporations pass through profits or losses to shareholders who report them on their individual tax forms, avoiding double taxation. In summary, S-corporation offers a tax-efficient structure as it eliminates the corporate level taxation, thus providing a way for shareholders to save on taxes.

Ways to pay yourself as an S-corp ?

S-corporation shareholders who are involved in the day-to-day operations have dual roles as shareholders and employees, while those who don't participate in daily activities are considered only shareholders. The role played by the shareholder in the company impacts how they can pay themselves and the limits that apply under the S-corp structure. In summary, the level of involvement in the day-to-day operations of the S-corporation determines the pay structure and limits of the shareholders.


If you are an employee of the company, it is necessary to be compensated appropriately in order to pay employment taxes to the IRS. This compensation must be in the form of a wage, separate from any other forms of compensation that may be received as a shareholder. The IRS requires that S-corporation employees receive reasonable compensation, which is comparable to what other businesses in the same industry pay for comparable labor and expertise. This means that the compensation should be in line with the industry standards and not so low as to avoid paying required taxes.

It is important to note that the IRS views an attempt to minimize federal income tax liability by paying oneself a minimal salary and receiving the majority of revenue as distributions as an attempt to evade taxes. If the IRS finds that a shareholder's salary does not qualify as reasonable compensation, the S-corporation may be fined for failing to withhold and deposit employment taxes, as well as forced to pay back taxes on what was not reported. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the compensation is reasonable and in line with industry standards to avoid any penalties from the IRS.


If an S-corporation has excess funds to cover future expenses, shareholders can also receive compensation in the form of dividends. These are distributions of profits to shareholders which are often made in the form of cash or stock. Shareholders who are not actively involved in the company's operations and do not provide services to the S-corp can receive distributions instead of a salary. Unlike salary, distributions are not subject to employment taxes, but they are considered as part of the shareholder's personal income for tax purposes. These distributions are tax-free until they surpass the shareholder's stock basis, after which they become taxable. The stock basis represents the initial investment made by the shareholder in the business, which can be affected by business losses or income.

Salary and distributions

If you're an owner and shareholder-employee, you have the option of receiving distributions in addition to your salary when the business is performing well. However, it is important to ensure that your salary meets the reasonable compensation standard set by the IRS, as failure to do so may result in reclassification of other compensation as taxable income. It is recommended to consult with a tax professional to understand the requirements of reasonable compensation before making this choice.

C-Corp Tax

A normal corporation (sometimes known as a C corporation) is taxed separately from its shareholders. Form 1120 must be filed annually by the corporation to report its income and collect its deductions and credits.

Unlike individual income tax levels, corporation income tax thresholds are not adjusted for inflation. They only alter when Congress passes legislation regarding corporation taxes.

After paying the corporate income tax on the business income, any distributions made to stockholders are taxed as dividends at the stockholders' tax rates. Wages paid to shareholders are taxed on the shareholder's individual income tax return.

Due to these two levels of taxation, a standard corporation may be a less appealing business entity than those that transmit income and deductions directly to its owners. Pass-through entities (for federal tax purposes) include sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited liability companies, and S corporations.

Good tax planning, however, can frequently limit the incidence of double taxation while utilizing the business structure to generate additional benefits. Moreover, because the highest individual rate is now higher than the top corporate rate, and because C corporations can retain revenues rather than send the entire amount through to shareholders, a regular corporation may be the best tax-advantaged alternative in some circumstances.

Corporations can accumulate earnings

Because a corporation is a separate taxable entity from its stockholders, the profits remaining after taxation at the corporate level are not taxed to the owners when they are earned, as is the situation with unincorporated enterprises and S corporations. Profits are subject to taxation only if and when they are transferred to stockholders as dividends.

A company cannot, however, hold a limitless amount of income for an unlimited amount of time. Almost any corporation is permitted to amass up to $250,000 in retained earnings tax-free. In addition, the accumulation will not be liable to tax if it is related to a justified business need.


Generally, an LLC is considered a pass-through entity for federal income tax purposes. This means that the LLC is exempt from paying taxes on its business income. Members of the LLC are taxed on their portion of the company's profits. State or local governments may impose additional taxes on LLCs. Members may elect to have the LLC taxed as a corporation rather than as a pass-through company.

Multiple types of LLC taxes exist. These taxes are imposed by the federal, state, and local governments. All members of an LLC are responsible for paying income tax and self-employment tax on all LLC-related income. Depending on the products you sell and your employment status, you may also be required to pay payroll taxes and sales taxes. To further complicate matters, an LLC may elect to be taxed as a different corporate entity.

How LLCs pay income taxes

The owners of an LLC may be responsible for a broad spectrum of company taxes. Most business owners are most burdened by federal, state, and local income taxes. Whether your LLC has one owner (a single-member LLC) or numerous owners affects how you file and pay income taxes (a multi-member LLC).

Income taxes for single-member LLCs

For federal income tax purposes, the IRS classifies a single-member LLC as a disregarded entity by default. A disregarded entity means that the LLC is not required to file a separate income tax return to report income and expenses. The member's income and expenses will be reported directly on his or her tax return.

In other words, as the sole owner of an LLC, you will record company revenue and costs on Schedule C of Form 1040, just as a lone proprietor would. If, after deducting business expenses, the LLC earns a profit for the year, the owner will owe IRS taxes at their personal income tax rate. If the LLC works at a loss for the year, the owner may deduct the losses from his or her personal income. Some states impose a special tax or fee on LLCs. California, for instance, imposes a yearly LLC tax of $800 in addition to an annual fee that varies dependent on the LLC's California income. Consider these LLC taxes while choosing your business structure and developing your budget.

Income taxes for multi-member LLCs

Multimember LLCs are pass-through entities for tax purposes. Similar to a single-member LLC, the LLC is exempt from taxation. Depending on their LLC ownership, each member is taxed on the business's income. The LLC tax rate is depending on the tax bracket of each member.

Each owner of a 50-50 LLC pays taxes on half of the business's profits. Each member can claim one-half of the tax deductions, credits, and losses of the LLC. This tax is structured as a partnership.

An annual Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income, must be filed with the IRS by a multi-member LLC. Each LLC owner must have a completed Schedule K-1 by March 15. The K-1 details the income, losses, credits, and deductions of each LLC owner. Schedule K-1 is attached to each owner's tax return.

Local and state pass-through taxation continues. Most states have 1065 and K-1 forms. Some states, such as California, tax LLCs more than others.

Choosing corporate tax status for your LLC

Form 8832 permits taxation of your LLC as a C-corporation (your state might also require additional forms for a change in tax status). If you change this, your LLC's tax rate will be 21%. File U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return Form 1120. You will also be required to pay state and local corporate taxes in your area.

File Form 2553 with the IRS to become a S corporation. S-corporations are taxed similarly to pass-through entities, such as an LLC, but salaries and distributions are taxed differently. To file taxes for an S-corporation with the IRS, submit Form 1120S.

Choosing corporate tax status has no legal effect on an LLC. Legally, your business continues to be an LLC. If you would benefit from corporate tax status, consult a tax expert. A corporation is taxed differently and has more deductions and credits than an LLC.