• hello@cleartaxfiler.com
  • +1 626-382-3299

Federal & State Tax Filing

The federal government enacts federal income tax legislation that applies to all individuals and businesses in the United States, regardless of their location. The legislation sets different tax rates for different income levels, with the lowest tax rate starting at 10% and the highest rate currently at 37%. Tax bracket is determined after calculating taxable income, taking into account deductions and personal exemptions. Once calculated, the tax liability may result in either a refund if overpaid or a bill if not enough taxes have been paid during the year, with most employees receiving a refund.

It's important to note that while federal taxes are uniform across the United States, state taxes can vary greatly. Some states have a flat tax rate while others use a progressive system, where higher earners pay a higher tax rate. It's important to take into consideration state taxes when evaluating the cost of living in different locations, particularly if you are considering relocating for work or career opportunities. Additionally, it's important to note that income taxes are not the only form of taxes that states use to generate revenue, property taxes, sales tax, and other measures also play a role.

What's the Difference Between State and Federal Income Taxes?

Federal income taxes are collected by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state income taxes are collected by the state government where the taxpayer resides and earns income. It can be complex when a taxpayer lives in one state and works in another, which was common during the pandemic. The federal tax system has multiple tax brackets ranging from 10% to 37% based on income and filing status. At the state level, some states have a flat-rate tax system, while others use a progressive system, and some states don't have an income tax.

What we do at Clear Tax Filer?

At Clear Tax Filer, we understand that navigating the complex world of taxes can be overwhelming and stressful. That's why we specialize in providing individuals and businesses with comprehensive tax filing services. Our team of experienced professionals is well-versed in the latest tax laws and regulations, and is dedicated to helping our clients meet their tax obligations on time and accurately.

FBAR / FATCA Processing

It is important to keep in mind that the federal government requires mandatory reporting of foreign financial accounts and assets for which you have an interest, in addition to taxes on income generated by such holdings. When preparing your federal tax return, it is essential to determine if you are required to file the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) or Form 8938 under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), or if you have to file both. Failure to report these foreign assets and accounts can result in significant penalties and fines. It is recommended to consult with a tax professional or accountant to ensure compliance with these reporting requirements.

What is FBAR?

The FBAR (FinCEN Form 114) is a mandatory annual filing with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) to report any foreign financial accounts or assets that meet certain thresholds. The FBAR is should be filed by U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and certain entities, including trusts and estates, that have a financial interest in or signature authority over foreign financial accounts with an aggregate value greater than $10,000 at any time during the calendar year. The FBAR filing is separate from the individual income tax return, and the deadline for filing is April 15th of each year with an automatic extension to October 15th. Failure to file the FBAR can result in significant penalties and fines. It is important to consult with a tax professional or accountant to ensure compliance with this reporting requirement.

What is FATCA?

FATCA applies to persons with taxable interests, including citizens, residents, and non-resident aliens. FBARs are required for a wider range of businesses, including local trusts, estates, and businesses with foreign financial interests. In addition, US citizens and legal entities are not permitted to enter the United States. Submit FBAR forms, but not FATCA forms.

ITIN Processing

The IRS issues tax identification numbers (ITINs) to aliens and non-residents, spouses, and dependents who are not eligible for a Social Security number. ITINs are in the format of Social Security Numbers (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and begin with 9. To obtain a tax identification number, an applicant must submit Form W-7 and proof of residency. Universities, banks and auditing firms help applicants to obtain an ITIN, among other things.

What is an ITIN used for?

An ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the IRS to individuals who are not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) but are required to file taxes in the United States. It helps them comply with U.S. tax rules and provides a way for the IRS to process and account for tax returns and payments. It's important to note that an ITIN is not a work authorization or immigration status, and it does not grant any legal status or eligibility for any federal or state benefits, including Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. It is only used for federal tax purposes and it is mandatory to renew it every five years if it's not used on a tax return for five consecutive years, or if the ITIN holder receives a SSN.

Amendment Filing :

An amended return allows correction of errors on a prior year's tax return and claim of a more beneficial tax status, such as a refund. It can be used to correct misreported income or claim missed tax credits. However, mathematical errors don't require amendments as the IRS automatically corrects them.

When to File an Amended Return?

An amended return should be filed when there are errors or changes on a previously filed tax return that would affect the taxpayers tax liability. Some common reasons for filing an amended return include:

  • Reporting additional income that was not included on the original return
  • Claiming additional deductions or tax credits that were not claimed on the original return
  • Correcting errors on the original return such as incorrect social security numbers or filing status
  • Filing a return for a prior year that was not filed
  • Changing from one filing status to another

It's important to note that an amended return must be filed within three years from the date the original return was filed, or within two years from the date the taxes were paid, whichever is later.

Representation Services

Representation services are an important aspect of the tax process as they provide taxpayers with professional guidance and support in navigating the complex and often confusing world of tax laws and regulations. A tax professional with experience in representation services can provide a variety of services to help taxpayers resolve their tax-related issues and disputes.

One of the most important aspects of representation services is negotiating with the IRS on the taxpayer's behalf. This can include working out payment plans for outstanding tax debts, settling disputes over tax liabilities, and resolving issues related to tax audits or other enforcement actions.

Another important aspect of representation services is preparing and filing appeals. Taxpayers who disagree with the findings of an IRS audit or other enforcement action have the right to appeal the decision. A tax professional can help the taxpayer to prepare and file the necessary paperwork and represent the taxpayer during the appeals process.

Representation services can also include helping the taxpayer to resolve tax debts and disputes. This can include preparing and submitting offers in compromise, which are agreements between the taxpayer and the IRS that allow the taxpayer to pay less than the full amount of taxes owed.

Finally, representation services can be especially useful for taxpayers who are facing complex tax issues or who are in disputes with the IRS. A qualified professional with experience in representation services can provide the necessary knowledge and expertise to help the taxpayer navigate the tax system and resolve their issues in a timely and efficient manner. It's important to note that a taxpayer has the right to representation before the IRS and the representation should be done by a qualified professional who is authorized to practice before the IRS.